Thursday, January 11, 2018

Corn and Turkey Egg Drop Soup

Everyone in my house has a nasty cold.  Poor Baby G will only stop screaming when bundled tightly in the Moby wrap or snuggled in the rocking chair with Carl, and even that isn't fool proof.  Indigo and Carl are miserable, and I'm only hanging in there because I was lucky enough to get it a few days early so I'm over the worst of it already.  I knew I needed to make a big pot of some kind of soup, but the soup connoisseurs in this house are picky eaters.  I also knew I wanted to use up the leftover roast turkey breast I made last night when company came.  If asked, Indigo will say her comfort food is any sort of Asian cuisine, so I decided egg drop soup would fit the bill.  Having never made it before, I did some googling and came up with this hybrid recipe that I thought was absolutely delicious. 

6 Cups Chicken Broth
2-3 Cups of frozen corn, divided
1 Tbsp Corn starch
1 tsp oyster sauce
1/2 tsp Chinese 5 Spice powder1/2 tsp dried cilantro
salt to taste
white pepper to taste
~ 1 pound of cooked turkey, cubed (could also use chicken)
4 eggs, beaten
In a medium sized stockpot or dutch oven, bring chicken broth, oyster sauce, 5 spice powder, cilantro, and 1 cup of corn to a boil.  Ladle out a little chicken broth and mix it with the corn starch in a separate cup or bowl to make a slurry, then pour into the main pot.  Lower heat to a simmer and cook until thickened slightly.  Using an immersion blender, puree everything in the pot so you have a silky smooth corn-chicken broth.  Taste and add salt, white pepper, and additional seasonings to taste.  Add the cubed meat and remaining corn.  Return to a boil.  When everything is hot through, stir the soup in one direction to create a vortex.  Slowly add the beaten eggs so they "flower" and create eggy ribbons.  Simmer a few minutes longer until eggs have turned white and are fully cooked.

Makes 4 servings.

1 comment: