Monday, August 8, 2016

Grandma's Recipes #3 - Macaroni Salad

I must admit, I always hated this salad.  It was a staple at most family gatherings and one of my dad's absolute favorites so I felt like I had to make sure it was immortalized for the family to find.  That said, there will be no pictures of the finished product unless my cousins or someone else is willing to send me one.  The original recipe is difficult to follow, so the whole thing has been rewritten in a way that makes more sense.

Macaroni Salad
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 water
3 c Miracle Whip
2 1/2 c  elbow macaroni
2 tsp salt
1 can peas
1/2 cup carrots, sliced or cubed
2 onions, chopped
3 or 4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
Cheese, cubed (no quantity given, but I would guess about 1/3 pound)
Ham, cubed (no quantity given, but it should roughly equal the cheese)


Cook 2 1/2 cups Macaroni in water with 2 tsp salt according to package directions.  Drain and rinse in cold water.

Meanwhile, boil the sugar and water to dissolve.  When cool, mix with miracle whip.  Combine with drained, cooled pasta, peas, carrots, onions, cheese, ham and eggs in a large bowl.  Keep cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment